Design Thinking: This 42-storey mixed-use building combines the Royal Canadian Military Institute (RCMI) on the first six-storeys, with 315 residential units above. The first two-storeys preserve the historic Beaux-Arts façade, originally constructed in 1907. A vertical plane rises through the tower body and terminates as a landmark in the skyline. Strong horizontal lines of the glass balconies serve as a counterpoint to the vertical plane. Stone walls wrap the first six-storeys which distinguish the private members’ institute from the condominium and transition the materiality of the historic façade into the glass tower.
Key Features: Regardless of the tight site (55 feet x 125 feet), the design allows for amenities and generous balconies for all units. LEED® certified, the development is Toronto’s first car-free project. It is also an example of intensification through innovation by integrating an institution with a residence in a vertical village.
Client: Tribute Communities
Size: 265,000 sq.ft. (25,000 sq.m.)
Sustainability: LEED® Certified