Design Thinking: This 42-storey mixed-use building combines the Royal Canadian Military Institute (RCMI) on the first six-storeys, with 315 residential units above. The first two-storeys preserve the historic Beaux-Arts façade, originally constructed in 1907. A vertical plane rises through the tower body and terminates as a landmark in the skyline. Stone walls wrap the first six-storeys which distinguish the private members institute from the condominium and transition the materiality of the historic façade into the glass tower.
Key Features: The exterior of the RCMI 1,500-member private institution and club, library and archival display revives some of the architectural features that have been removed over time. The library contains a 15,000-volume research library with historically significant books that detail Canada’s military history. The museum will house and display the Institute’s extensive collections, including guns collected from American soldiers during the War of 1812, war hero Billy Bishop’s medals and the seat from the Fokker triplane of Baron Manfred von Richthofen, more commonly known as the Red Baron, who was shot down by Canadian Captain Arthur Roy Brown in 1918.
Client: Tribute Communities, RCMI
Size: 265,000 sq.ft. (25,000 sq.m.)
Sustainability: LEED® Certified