The Westin in Liberty Place
Client: General Growth Properties Inc.
Size: 216,000 sq.ft. (20,000 sq.m.)
The 216,000 sf Westin is a 290-room premier-quality hotel facility located in downtown Philadelphia. Designed by Zeidler Partnership Architects, this distinctive structure rises above a two-level retail podium and is a component of the prestigious Liberty Place Phase II project located on a 3.5 acre site bordered by Market street, Chestnut street, 16th and 17th Streets.
The hotel’s porte-cochere was developed on 16th street with
a generous covered and well lit space to welcome guests
and allow for valet parking. Guests enter the ground level and proceed to the 3rd level sky lobby where there are views into the glass enclosed central Rotunda with its elegant boutiques and restaurants.
Special features of the Westin include superior marble and millwork nishes, luxurious suites, and a stunning 7,500-square foot ballroom. The exterior cladding of the hotel has won several awards for the quality of the pre-cast aggregate material
Zeidler Partnership was responsible for the master planning and design of the hotel, retail, parking, and loading components.
The rm was also responsible for the preparation of contract documents and contract administration of Liberty Place Phase II, including the office tower.
- American Concrete Institute, Delaware Valley Chapter) - Award of Excellence, Architectural Concrete/ Precast Claddings, 1992
- Precast/ Prestressed Concrete Institute - Design Award, 1992
- Architectural Precast Association - Award for Design and Manufacturing Excellence, 1991
- International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craftsmen - Crafts Award, Best Project (Terrazzo) - The Shops at Liberty Place, 1991
- Precast/ Prestressed Concrete Institute - Design Awards, Honorable Mention, 1991
- Concrete Construction Committee of Philadelphia - Merit Award, Commercial Project, 1991