Student Learning Centre, Ryerson University
Design Architect: Snohetta
Client: Ryerson University
Size: 155,000 sq.ft. (14,000 sq.m.)
Designed by the architectural team of Zeidler and Snøhetta, the stunning new building provides Ryerson students with an outstanding environment to study, collaborate and discover. The eight-storey Student Learning Centre marks Ryerson’s new face on Yonge Street. It features a glass façade, an elevated plaza, a bridge to the existing library and a range of academic, study and collaborative spaces for Ryerson’s students, faculty and staff. The Yonge Street frontage features destination retail at and below grade, creating a prominent commercial façade.
With links to the existing Library building, the Student Learning Centre offers a variety of creative and inspiring learning environments and spaces. Every floor has its own personality – some are open and interpretive with flexible furniture and terraces while others are densely filled with enclosed study rooms for groups of four to eight people. The top floor encourages independent, quiet study and contemplation. With full digital support and accessible academic services, the Student Learning Centre fosters learning success and helps promote a culture of collaboration and creativity among Ryerson students.
The lightweight and transparent glass skin of the 155,000 sq.ft. Student Learning Centre features a surface design that creates varying light qualities within the interior space. As a further demonstration of Ryerson’s long-time leadership in sustainability, the building is LEED Silver compliant. At least 50 per cent of the roof is a dedicated green roof.
- American Concrete Institute Award - Decorative Concrete, 2017
- Toronto Urban Design Awards - Public Building in Context, 2017
- Ontario Library Association New Library Building Award, 2016
- American Institute of Architects/ American Library Association Building Award, 2016
- Illuminating Engineering Society Section Awards - Interior Design and Energy - Toronto Section, 2016
- American Institute of Architects New York Design Awards - Architecture, Honor Award, 2016
- Ontario Concrete Award - Material Development and Innovation, 2015
- Facade of the Year - International Award for Facade Engineering Excellence, 2015
- Canadian Architect - Award of Excellence, 2011