Queen's Quay Terminal
Client: Olympia & York Developments Ltd., Gentra Inc., Brookfield Properties
Size: 888,000 sq.ft. (82,000 sq.m)
Overlooking Toronto’s harbourfront, this former storage facility was transformed into an active, year-round mixed-use project. The building houses two levels of retail and restaurants, a 450- seat theatre, one level of car parking above the retail and 390,370 square feet of office space which is visually connected to the retail space by atria. A total of 72 condominium units are located on four new storeys built on the roof of the building. They enclose a roof-top, lavishly landscaped courtyard with a dramatic waterfall and bridge. The copper patina of the wall cladding echoes the roof of the building’s visual neighbour, the Royal York Hotel.
Queen’s Quay Terminal has received more than a dozen awards for excellence in design, including the Canadian Governor General’s Medal for Architecture.
Over the years we have continued to modify the building, including Phase II renovations which were carried out to create a more focused office development. A new office entrance and lobby occupy the central entry of this historic building while a greenhouse addition provides a separate retail corner entrance. A new food court overlooks the engaging fountain of the south atrium.
- Ontario Association of Architects - Landmark Designation Award, 2010
- Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) Canada - Historical Building of the Year Award, 2003
- City of Toronto - The City of Toronto Urban Design Award, 1992
- Ontario Association of Architects - Design Excellence Award, 1989
- Waterfront Center - Excellence on the Waterfront Award, 1989
- City of Toronto - Access Award, 1986
- Governor General of Canada - Governor General's Medal for Architecture, 1986
- Heritage Canada Foundation - Credit Foncier Award, 1985
- Builder's Choice Design & Planning Awards - Grand Award, 1984
- Concrete Building Awards - Award of Merit, 1984
- Portland Cement Association - Concrete Building Award - Award of Merit, 1984
- Canadian Housing Design Council - National Design Award, 1983
- Members of the Institute of Residential Marketing of NAHB - Gold Award, Best Sales Office over 500 Square Feet, 1983
- Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing - Ontario Renews Award, 1983
- Commonwealth Association of Architects - National Award, 1981