CIBC Commerce Court Renewal
Client: CIBC Development Corporation
Situated on four acres at the corner of King and Bay Streets at the heart of Toronto’s business district, the Commerce Court complex comprises four buildings including the historic 1931 tower plus the three buildings finished in 1972 which complete this modern era heritage complex of more than two million square feet.
Zeidler first worked on the site to revitalize the entire ground level urban plaza with new restaurants, dining terraces and canopies, the lower, public, concourse level of retail shops and food outlets with connections to the subway system and the banking hall. The 115,000sf exterior court was renovated and new canopies were added to make this area more active and user-friendly. Interior work included 261,770sf of renovations and 20,700sf of additions; featuring the expansion and renovation of the retail area to 70,680sf, an addition of a 14,724sf food court and the renovation of the flagship 60,000sf branch of the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC). Wheel chair and general public access was improved by accommodating changes in traffic patterns and creating new pedestrian tunnel connections. This project, totaling almost 500,000sf was completed in 1995 at a cost of $48.5m.
Zeidler’s next project at the site was to refurbish the 5 floors of Commerce Court South, clearing out and restoring all office floors back to base building condition and installing new escalators and a new entrance and lobby to the building. This work, comprising some 50,000 square feet, was done between 2002 and 2008 for some $3m in construction costs.
Today, Zeidler providing similar retrofit services to bring the 1,209,000 sf, 57-storey Commerce Court West tower up to 21st century standards.
- Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) Toronto - Office Building of the Year Award, Rehabilitation/ Modernized Building, 1995
- Ontario Association of Architects - Award of Merit, 1995
- Canadian Institute of Steel Construction - Ontario Steel Design Award, For Glazed Links, Green House, Canopy and Skylight, 1994